Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Broken Jelly Donuts

Well, crap.


Six years ago I rode on an old wooden roller coaster in the last car. I learned that it’s true what they say: roller coasters aren’t good for your back.

Katie Gettin' All Jacked Up

My back instantly hurt and I spent the next few days on the couch. But then I got up, and never really had a problem with it. Until this year.

This past January, I bent over and fell to the floor in pain. I couldn’t move. I couldn’t control my lower back. I had no idea what was happening. I finally pushed myself back against a door and I heard a pop. I could now stand up, well, not straight up.

I couldn’t really walk the next few days, certainly not upright. I went to the doctor. He said it was most likely a torn disc (which is a type of herniated disc), but people live with them all the time. I rested for a few weeks. I then went running again. A few days later I woke up and couldn’t get out of bed. I went and got an MRI.

Here are my results:


OH NO! MY JELLY!

Win! Win! I have TWO torn discs (#6 and #7). Plus two degenerated (aka squished) discs (#1 and #3)!


The way my doctor described it, our discs are like jelly donuts, but when they are injured, the filling squeezes out. When the discs get upset, they shift, they get inflamed, and they get real mad. Inside the pink curved lines are where my discs have torn and are bulging out. That’s not good.

I went to the physical therapist. He said I couldn’t run for at least 4 to 6 weeks.

WHAT?!?

Rill Sad


So I haven’t been.

But this week, I’m gonna try to start running again.


What all of this means is:

a) I’m gonna need a walker by the time I’m 30
b) I won’t be able to run the half marathon
c) BUT I WILL BE ABLE TO WALK IT!


I’m going to complete it, g-dangit. I promise.


With all the support Kelly and I have gotten for the OKC Marathon, I can’t back out now.


WE HAVE LESS THAN A MONTH! And less than $800 to raise!



Hurts, Donut?


Those are pain marks, not stinks

No comments:

Post a Comment